Dear YES Families,
Spring is here and excitement is in the air at Yarmouth Elementary School as we begin the last three months of the school year. It continues to be a wonderful year of learning, growth, and fun at YES. As always, we greatly appreciate the combined efforts of all as we support our students in successfully meeting the goals set before them.
WACKY CLOTHES & HAIR DAY REMINDER: APRIL 1
A reminder that Friday, April 1 will kick off this month with another dress-up day opportunity for students and staff to finish up our "Spirit Month" celebration at YES. This is always a favorite day for our students and a fun way to celebrate the first day of April!
CONGRATS TO OUR YGT CONTESTANTS!
Once again, there are several Yarmouth Elementary School students represented in the “Yarmouth’s Got Talent” event this year. There were also many more YES students who submitted entries for this annual tradition. Whether they were selected for the show or not we are so proud of all our students for putting themselves out there to share their talent, creativity, and imagination. Our hope is that all our students feel safe taking risks and trying new things in a culture of community encouragement and support. And of course, we love to see them have fun while doing it! Congratulations to all and enjoy the show on Friday, April 1 at the high school YPAC.
With warmer weather upon us, we will see lots of bikes around town and more students riding to and from school. The Bicycle Coalition of Maine has some great educational materials and a video on bike safety basics. We encourage you to check these out and share them with your children.
- Silver Graphics – Still time to order until 4/13! Choose from dozens of different keepsakes featuring your child’s artwork. Order online, delivery direct to your home 2-3 weeks after your orders are placed. You should have received an order form and instructions but we are happy to answer questions if you have them! Contact email@example.com
- Bike Swap coming on May 7! Please save the date & your old bikes! Bike Swap to be held in Rowe School gym. Bikes can be brought in the day before, More details coming soon along with a call for volunteers.
- Hannaford Load – April 6 and 27.
- The April PTO meeting will be Thursday, April 28 at 4 pm. Planning for an in-person meeting at the town hall community room. All are welcome.
- PTO is in full swing planning for many traditional end-of-year events like the Ice Cream Social and Field Day. Stay tuned for more details.
Join the Yarmouth Education Foundation (YEF) Board of Directors!
What is YEF? YEF is a community member-led nonprofit dedicated to enriching the overall educational experience of students in the Yarmouth School Department. YEF awards grants so that educators and students across all grade levels and schools can bring their innovative ideas to life. Recent YEF grants include: Black Student Alliance Learning Trip to Boston (YHS), Microscopic Engineering (HMS), Life Cycle of Frogs and Amaryllis Plants (YES), and Math Manipulatives for Remote Learners (Rowe & YES). Through emergency COVID grants, YEF provided KN95 face masks and covered the cost of background checks for up to 70 new volunteers and substitute teachers. Read more here.
We invite you to get involved!
Are you inspired by the opportunity to share Yarmouth schools’ innovation through compelling words and images? Join the YEF Board and put your social media and marketing interests to work.
Do you have creative fundraising ideas to engage community members through events, individual giving, and corporate donations? Join the YEF Board to sustain and build donor outreach.
In addition to specific Board opportunities for those with an interest in marketing and fundraising, YEF is always excited to hear from any and all community members who are interested in volunteering. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest and to learn more.
YOUTH FOOTBALL INFORMATION NIGHT
Football Information Night and Registration is Monday, April 4th at 6 pm at the Harrison Middle School Cafeteria for ALL interested new and returning K-8 football players and families. Join us to hear from Head Coach Jim Hartman, Middle School Head Coach Sam Eddy, 5/6 Tackle Coach Brad Stout, Flag Program representative Tim Flanagan and others regarding the upcoming season and register for summer/fall flag and tackle football programs. Special guest, former professional NHL athlete (and proud Yarmouth alumni parent), Eric Weinrich, is hoping to join us to share his experience with our program and what football has meant to his son and his family. We'll end the night with Ice Cream for all attendees!
MERRILL MEMORIAL LIBRARY NEWS
- Saturday, April 9: Virtual Cooking Challenge. Teams will pick up a box with mystery ingredients from the library and then join via Zoom on Saturday to open the box and get cooking. This is an all-ages program though we ask that participants be 12 or older or accompanied by an adult if they plan on using an oven. Registration is required (https://forms.gle/5X7ePsaqsRsRJ2e19). Limited to six teams.
- LEGO Contest! Interested participants can pick up a LEGO plate from the library the week of 4/11-4/15 and then, using their own LEGO pieces, build something wild, fun, intricate, elegant, whatever. Builds can be dropped off at the library anytime up until the Tuesday after April break, 4/26 where they will be placed on display around the first floor of the library. Community members and library staff will vote on favorites in different categories.
- In partnership with Island Treasure Toys: Board Games in the Library, many new board games will be available to play during the week of April Break, 4/19-4/23. No registration is required. All Ages.
- Thursday, April 14: Dangerous Thinking Club, 5 PM at the library. Book: The Darkness Outside Us by Eliot Schrefer. New members are always welcome. For grades 8 and up. Snacks will be provided. For more information, email Jill O'Connor at email@example.com
- Fridays in April: Garden Storytimes, 10:15 AM in the MML garden. In the case of inclement weather, these will move to Zoom. For more information, email Mary Randall at firstname.lastname@example.org
MAY 2-6: YES KIDS HEART CHALLENGE 2022
At YES we will be doing a Kids Heart Challenge sponsored by the American Heart Association. The purpose of this activity is to remind us to take care of our heart health and also to think of others. Students will engage in a variety of fitness challenges to benefit themselves and have the opportunity to dedicate their efforts by making a money donation to the American Heart Association. The donation is optional. The AHA does provide a small number of funds that go back to the school based on the number of donations earned. Any amount received will be used to purchase playground equipment. All students will receive a small gift for participating.
What: The goal will be to engage your best effort into participating in fitness challenges. When : Monday, May 2 through May 6, 2022 Where: YES gym. Why : Personal wellness and care for others. How : Students will come to the gym during their physical education class and SEL class that week.
MAY 10, 12, & 17: MAINE EDUCATIONAL ASSESSMENT - GRADE 3 & 4 This Spring 2022 administration will include assessments in Math, Reading, and Language Usage. These will be administered to grades three and four on May 10, 12, and 17. Please keep these dates in mind to avoid any scheduling conflicts on the testing days.
SPRING BREAK REMINDER
The last day of school before vacation is scheduled to be Thursday, April 14. Spring vacation begins on Friday, April 15 and students will return to school on Monday, April 25. Enjoy the break!
Ryan Gleason, YES Principal & Molly Kilpatrick, YES Assistant Principal