Yarmouth Elementary School, originally named Yarmouth Intermediate School, was built in 1968. A cornerstone ceremony was held on October 15, 1967 and the building was later dedicated on September 27, 1968. A bell, cast in 1863 with the motto “Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty”, was moved to the new school from its former location at the Gray School where Town Hall now resides.
The general contractor of the $792,000 project was C.M. Cimino, Inc., and the architects, who designed the building with 15 classrooms for grades 4-6, were Goodspeed and Gibson. The building committee was comprised of Richard McCann, Chairperson; Arthur Lovejoy; Robert Allyn; Robert Gleason; Ray Kibler; Rita Geletka; and Carl Winslow.
In 1988 six classrooms were added to Yarmouth Intermediate School. In each of the three original wings, two spacious classrooms were constructed to accommodate the needs of the expanding population and increased services. With the opening of the Frank H. Harrison Middle School in 1992, and the new grade configuration of grades 2-4 at the elementary level, the school was renamed Yarmouth Elementary School.
In 2000, twelve years after the first renovations, the main office was redesigned to increase visibility and to better meet the needs of the staff, students, and community populations. At this time, doors at the front entrance of the school were changed to glass to make the school more welcoming.
The recent expansion and renovation of our library and Literacy/Math Title 1 rooms took place in 2002. The total cost of this project was $400,000. We now have a beautiful library facility designed for the needs of young children..
Today we enroll approximately 300 students with an overall classroom size of 20 students. We have 46 staff members including classroom, unified arts, and special education teachers, as well as various support staff.
We are grateful and most appreciative of the strong community support for these projects that have made Yarmouth Elementary School such a wonderful place of learning and inquiry.